Thursday, August 13, 2009

From Laurie and Family

Jake got to drive the "Days of 47" royalty in this HOT car!



A pot of Jelly Bellys from Laurie's friends following surgery (see my scar!)



Austin & Laurie; Steph & Scott at Rachel's wedding in Boise



Whitney, Laurie & Joel on 4th of July






Dear Family,

It's been a few months since the newsletter has come out, but luckily, many of us have been together, thanks to Rachel & Dustin's wedding! They certainly put on a great party for all of us, with many opportunities to talk our little hearts out....laugh together....and D.A.N.C.E!!!! It makes me want to get together MUCH more often!! A friend of mine was telling me that their family reunions are just torture because there is so much fighting going on, and if no one is fighting, the tension is palpable. Ugh! Can you imagine??? I am so grateful for my extended family and the love I feel from each of you!

The Metcalfs are doing great! The children keep growing....well, nowadays, it's probably more accurate to say they continue to mature- - as they pursue college and missions and eternal companions. I'm not "rushing" Austin....he's only 17! I'm not rushing anybody!!! I'm just sayin'.......season of life, and all that.

Jake and Whitney came home for the summer to work and save money. A savings account gets plumped up quite nicely when you have free room and board. They both are mowing lawns for a guy in our ward....who has employed all of my children at one time or another. You can get up at dawn during the summer...and survive! Nothing like manual labor to toughen you up. And as Whitney says...."not a bad job..... burn calories, get a tan AND get paid!" Austin is working at the golf course. He says that most people play golf drunk! He has to clean out their carts and throw away the evidence. I think that's why there are so many golfers.....you'd have to be drunk to forget how frustrating it is...hence, another round the following Saturday. He always pulls the 4 to 10pm shift, which wreaks havoc on a 17 year old boy's social life! But the job allows him to golf for free at a few city courses, so it's not all bad. Our family attended the Oquirrah Mountain Temple open house last night. It's a beautiful temple. I loved being there with my family.....I just like to watch my kids. I like to just watch them walk and talk and interact with each other. Last night I liked walking behind Jake and Austin...both 6'2" or 6'3", shoulder to shoulder in their white shirts and ties, absorbed in their own conversation (granted, they were probably quoting lines from The Office, or The Simpsons, or Brian Regan....but still!!!!) And I like watching Whitney and Joel throw their heads back and laugh with each other....as they always are doing!

Cory is having a great mission in the D.C. South mission. On Sept 4th he will have 9 months left! His emails are not super long :).....But the growth and confidence he is gaining as a missionary is more evident with each passing month. We sure miss him but wouldn't want him to be anywhere else. We got to hear his mission president give his homecoming report a couple weeks ago. That was really awesome!

Joel and I are just loving every minute of family this summer. Joel and Austin get in quite a bit of golf together. The only problem with older kids is that they always have JOBS! It really gets in the way of my "F.U.N." with them!

And finally, as you all are completely aware of my adventures with surgery and the cutting of the nerve to my voice....let me just give a quick update. I've had a digital scope (camera) put down my throat...no gagging...and It recorded the workings of my vocal folds, nerves, muscles etc.....it was soooo fascinating! I am so impressed with what my body can do...to see the inside working....it's such a miracle!!! I got so excited! I just can't express how impressed I am with this miracle we call a body! Anyway, I saw for myself on a monitor, how the right side is paralyzed. The muscle can't work and do its job. But here's the cool thing....the left side works sooooo hard to make up for what the paralyzed side can't do. It's absolutely HEROIC!!!
Some people think I've completely lost my voice, which isn't true. But if my normal voice is 100%, I'd say the voice I have right now is about 15%. Noisy places and phone conversations are the hardest part....difficult to be heard. Nerves take about a year to heal. So I will be patient and work with my therapist. I will continue to pray and be positive and submissive to my Father's will. He has carried me every moment and given me so much peace and comfort throughout. I've only been discouraged a couple of times and then I go to my knees and am filled with hope and peace and comfort. Things could be so much worse...I'm truly grateful!!! I am so blessed! And I am learning so much! Thank you, each one, for your prayers, phone calls, emails, and incredible love and support. You're all the best!!!

Here's a thought for the day, so that you can be impressed with what YOUR vocal chords do!!!....they slap together 250 x per second when you're speaking!!!

Mom gets off her mission the end of September! Phew....just before another Iowa winter!!! I think 3 missions is enough :) She should stay home now and serve in the temple, which she loves so much. I sure appreciate her example of service and sacrifice!
May you all find peace and joy each day through the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I know he wants each of us to be happy in this life and then return to Him in the eternities. I can't help but think that probably Grandma and Grandpa were with me as I layed on that operating table for a prolonged period of time....waiting for a 2nd surgeon to be called to the hospital and then the time it took for him to be informed of what had taken place, time spent consulting with Joel, Joel signing more consent papers, time scrubbing in, etc. etc.......I just think that a lot of things went right in a potentially devestating scenario.....all because my Heavenly Father loves me and took care of me.

I love each one of you!
Laurie, Joel, Jake, Whitney, Cory and Austin

No comments: